Weekly News 261
Council and district news
Wombourne South East Ward by-election result
South Staffordshire District Council held a parish by-election for Wombourne South East Ward yesterday.
Conservatives held the seat and the council would like to welcome Janice Evans.
There was a 20% turnout for the by-election and the results were as follows:
- Janice Evans – Conservative Party candidate – 353 (elected)
- Laura Smith – Green Party candidate – 311
Pattingham Daffodil Tiny Forest
The Pattingham Daffodil Tiny Forest has been planted – thanks to the efforts of villagers who united in creating something special for future generations.
The project was spearheaded on behalf of Pattingham Parish Council by Councillor Nick Hill.
Cllr Hill said: “The last few years have been tough on everyone, but especially the younger children in our community. We really wanted to try to create some positive memories for them, and what better way then planting trees that will grow with them into the future?
“I want to say thank you to all the amazing volunteers who turned out today to help plant the Tiny Forest.
“We managed to plant all the trees in a couple of hours and so many children came to plant trees, it was a really superb effort – and a really beautiful day for it as well.
“Thanks to South Staffs District Council, Severn Trent and Earthwatch for making it possible, especially the Severn Trent volunteers on the day, who helped out massively.”
As well as volunteers from the village and beyond, the event was visited by South Staffordshire District Council’s Councillor Len Bates, Councillor Terry Mason, Councillor Robert Reade and Councillor Victoria Wilson.
Council job vacancies
- Relief Leisure Assistant (Wombourne Leisure Centre), closing 5pm on March 31. Click here for application information
- Relief Receptionist (Wombourne Leisure Centre), closing 5pm on March 31. Click here for application information
- Support Officer – Performance and Envirocrime, closing 5pm on April 4. Click here for application information
- Elections Officer, closing 5pm on April 4. Click here for application information
- Senior Elections Officer, closing 5pm on April 4. Click here for application information
- Street Scene – Tree Inspector, closing 5pm on March 28. Click here for application information
- Income & Recovery Officer, closing 5pm on March 25. Click here for application information
- Biffa Class 2 Driver, open application date. Click here for application information
- Swimming Instructors (Codsall, Penkridge, Cheslyn Hay and Wombourne Leisure Centres), open application date. Click here for application information
- Corporate Policy Manager – open application date. Click here for application information
- Homeless Prevention Assistant – closing midday on April 22. Click here for application information
Supporting Ukrainian Refugees
|South Staffordshire residents wishing to support Ukrainian refugees can do so in a number of ways.
For more information on financial donations, the gifting of essential supplies, welcoming refugees and more, please click here
Business PLACE Partnership event showcases Codsall Community Hub
The Business PLACE Partnership hosted its third event at the start of the month, this time showcasing our award-winning Codsall Community Hub.
A range of businesses were welcomed on the day and were offered a range of support – from marketing, to grant funding, HR services, and import and export..
It was a great opportunity to demonstrate how The Business PLACE Partnership works and offer state-of-the-art facilities at our fantastic Community Hub.
Mums swim for FREE this Mother’s Day
This Sunday (March 27), Codsall, Cheslyn Hay and Penkridge Leisure Centres are providing free swimming access for mums accompanied by a child.
To claim your free swim, simply check our website https://www.sstaffs.gov.uk/leisure/ for available swim times at your local South Staffordshire leisure centre this Sunday. All mums must swim with an accompanying child to be eligible for free access.
Easter school holiday activity camps
Cheslyn Hay, Codsall, Penkridge and Wombourne leisure centres are providing daily activity camps for young people aged 5-14 throughout the Easter school holiday.
The camps are being delivered in conjunction with Aspire Sports who will be providing a variety of sports and health-related activities between April 11 and 22, from 8am-4pm each day.
Aspire provide early bird, sibling and emergency service discounts.
To find out more and to book, visit https://www.aspire-sports.co.uk/active-camps
As an added bonus, all bookings will also receive free leisure centre passes including junior and adult swim passes; gym passes; exercise class passes; and day passes.
Holiday Activities and Food Scheme
Families in receipt of free school meals are eligible for free activity camps and food during the Easter holiday.
The Holiday Activities and Food Scheme is a central government initiative and has been made possible thanks to funding from The Department for Education.
Registration for the Holiday Activities and Food Scheme is now open.
All eligible families will receive a letter from their school, and parents will need to register using their unique ‘HAF’ code.
Covid booster jab available for over 75s and the immunosuppressed
People aged 75 and over, and people aged 12 and over who are immunosuppressed, are now eligible for a spring COVID-19 booster vaccine.
The NHS will contact eligible people to book their next vital jab.
Visit nhs.uk/covid-booster for more information.
Covid vaccination during Ramadan
The safest and most effective way to protect yourself, your family and those most at risk from the virus is by having the Covid-19 vaccine.
Having the vaccine during the month of Ramadan will not break your fast. The British Islamic Medical Association has reviewed the analysis of Islamic scholars and confirmed that having the vaccine does not invalidate the fast.
If you are still unsure whether you should have a vaccine during the holy month, please speak to your local Imam for guidance.